I found these notes in one of my personal documents and I can’t remember where I got them from. But nonetheless, they are beneficial and effective as I have tried most of them with my own kids so here it is.
- Let them listen to the Quran at an early age by reciting in front of them or letting them listen to the recorded audio of a recitation
- Recite the Qur’an daily before bed (mainly the 3 Quls and Ayatul Kursi which are Sunnah)
- Recite the surahs that you have already memorized while doing housework, while playing with your kids etc.
2- Repeating and memorizing
- When they show interest in following you, you can begin guiding them to repeat after you for memorization
- Let them continue the ending parts of the verse
- provide positive reinforcement (e.g. acknowledging, smiling, hugging etc.)
- This can be as early as when they begin to talk
- Start with the short chapters, like surah al-Fatihah and juz amma from the back (i.e. beginning from Surah an-Nas)
- Read them together daily and informally
- When they are a little older, and able to understand, teach them the meanings of the verse
- Share it’s tafseer according to their understanding
- Ponder upon it’s meanings together
- Teach them the the Arabic vocabularies from the Qur’an (Download 80% Quran vocabulary)
- Teach them the tajweed without its technicality by simply modelling it’s recitation to them and saying out the name of its ruling (e.g. this is a mad letter so we read it a little longer like this…)
5-Make it enjoyable!
- Keep it short and enjoyable when teaching the Qur’an to your kids at this stage